About SELF: Our mission at SELF is to empower schools to create welcoming and effective communities that enable ALL students to achieve their fullest potential. We aim to improve the quality of special education student outcomes by developing current and aspiring special education teacher-fellows, leader-fellows, and leadership teams through a variety of specialized programs.
SELF’s unique and specialized programming includes:
- The Leader Fellowship: a two-year program that provides formal training sessions, leadership coaching, professional learning communities, peer program reviews and visits to exemplary programs across the country.
- The Teacher Fellowship: a year-long program that provides formal training sessions, professional learning communities, personalized coaching, and partners with national research-based instructional programs.
- School Support: training for leadership teams through their partnership with New Schools for New Orleans and customized consulting services to school, charter management organization network teams, and school districts.
Our Core Values guide what and how we do our work and interact with each other and all of our partners:
- Belief: We believe that every student, regardless of their identity and learning style, can achieve at their highest potential.
- Responsibility: It is our responsibility to use our own talents and capacities in order to ensure that the mindsets and systems are in place for our students to have equitable, inclusive, and anti-bias classroom spaces.
- Teamwork: We prioritize collaboration to ensure a stronger sense of belonging. We lead ourselves and others in a way that places all students at the center of our work.
Position Overview: SELF is embarking upon an ambitious national growth strategy. To support our aggressive expansion plans, this new role on our leadership team will design and lead a revised business development strategy. The Chief Growth Officer will be responsible for identifying and establishing new relationships with innovative districts, Charter Management Organizations (CMOs), and other strategic partners. In addition, this person will play a key role in managing current relationships to extend and deepen SELF's work in existing markets. This is the person on our team who loves networking and sharing SELF's story with others. They are constantly looking for ways to find mutual alignment between SELF and prospective partners in order to drive impact for educators and ultimately their students.
Specifically, this role will:
- Effectively communicate all of SELF’s programming options and build relationships with districts and/or CMOs, finding alignment with their strategic priorities and SELF’s work
- Build authentic, trusting relationships with a wide variety of partners, including district leaders, education champion organizations and other education non-profit organizations to build connections and alignment with SELF’s work
- Design and execute a strategy to secure contracts that achieve our goal of building inclusive schools and creating pipelines of educators who build and design the system from the beginning
- Managing and deepening relationships with members of the SELF’s Team and existing partners
- Documenting and ongoing management of prospects in HubSpot
- Support the SELF’s team on other strategic projects that align with your skills, interests, and organizational need
- Act as a senior member of the SELF team, contributing to larger organizational and strategic decisions and modeling our values and leadership competencies
SELF’s Chief Growth Officer role is a great opportunity if the following describes you:
- Has experience building strategic partners with innovative school districts and brings that experience and trusting, established relationships.
- Would get energy from “selling” SELF’s programs because you believe in our work and want to build investment in others.
- Is a strategic thinker and strong project manager who can design and then execute a recruitment and cultivation strategy for partners and programs.
- Has senior leadership and team leadership experience and demonstrated results leading an impactful, equitable, happy team to outcomes.
Required Skills and Mindsets:
- A deep commitment to SELF’s mission and alignment with SELF values of Belief, Responsibility, and Teamwork
- Modeling of SELF’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Accessibility (DEIBA) demonstrated by a demonstrated willingness to examine personal identity and biases and comfort engaging in and model conversations around race, class, and privilege
- Demonstrated skill in managing a high-performing, equity focused team: evidence of leading a team to improve results, building a strong culture with high expectations, coaching and developing direct reports, and developing authentic and trusting relationships across the team.
- A demonstrated career-long history of constant learning and continuous personal development learning through self-awareness of strengths and areas of improvement; a track record of building skills and knowledge through personal initiative; and a history of executing on feedback to improve performance.
- Model transformational leadership skills: demonstrated leadership that inspires, uplifts and challenges, always in service to others and with a goal of creating a team that is equitable, welcoming, and highly effective.
- Sophisticated relationship-building and communication skills: the ability to build trust and adapt communication styles to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, experience levels, and cultures.
- Strategic thinking and project management: the ability to create a plan with complicated, nuanced factors, organize information in a clear and easy to use manner.
- Strong analytical thinking, including experience and skills with contributing to the development of and managing budgets and working in excel/google sheets.
- A high degree of personal leadership: evidence of taking initiative and owning outcomes for yourself and others.
- A solutions orientation: the ability to identify and implement solutions independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and a track record of taking responsibility when faced with challenges.
Required Experience and Expectations:
- Senior level experience in business development and relationship management with school districts and/or CMO leadership, with a strong track record of recruitment experience.
- Team leadership experience.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience working within or partnering with innovative school districts or CMOs that developed successful strategies to improve outcomes for ALL students.
Location: As SELF is in the process of growing our programming nationally, you can live anywhere in the United States. Regular travel is expected - two to three times a month.
Manager Relationship: The Chief Growth Officer will report to SELF’s Founder and CEO, Aqua Stovall.
Timeline: The Priority Deadline for this role is Monday, October 10th. We may continue to review applications on a rolling basis after this date but may close the application following the deadline. Interested applications are encouraged to apply as soon as you are able.
Compensation and Benefits: The starting salary for the Chief Growth Officer role begins at $120,000 annually. SELF is committed to equitable talent practices and sets starting salaries using internal and external comparison data and a candidate’s specific experience. We also believe in taking care of our team members holistically. We aim to offer competitive salaries, but we also have a comprehensive benefits package, with health, dental, vision largely subsidized by SELF, a 401k employer contribution, short-term and long-term disability paid for by SELF, and a flexible spending and dependent care plan.
SELF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance.