About SELF: Our mission at SELF is to empower schools to create welcoming and effective communities that enable ALL students to achieve their fullest potential. We aim to improve the quality of special education student outcomes by developing current and aspiring special education teacher-fellows, leader-fellows, and leadership teams through a variety of specialized programs. SELF’s unique and specialized programming includes:
SELF’s unique and specialized programming includes:
- Leader Fellowship: a program that provides formal training sessions, leadership coaching, professional learning communities, peer program reviews and visits to exemplary programs across the country.
- Teacher Cohorts: a year-long program that provides formal training sessions, professional learning communities, personalized coaching, and partners with national research-based instructional programs.
- School Support: training for leadership teams through our partnership with New Schools for New Orleans and customized consulting services to school, charter management organization network teams, and school districts.
Our Core Values guide what and how we do our work and interact with each other and all of our partners:
- Belief: We believe that every student, regardless of their identity and learning style, can achieve at their highest potential.
- Responsibility: It is our responsibility to use our own talents and capacities in order to ensure that the mindsets and systems are in place for our students to have equitable, inclusive, and anti-bias classroom spaces.
- Teamwork: We prioritize collaboration to ensure a stronger sense of belonging. We lead ourselves and others in a way that places all students at the center of our work.
Position Overview: The SELF team leads regular training sessions (approximately 15-25/month), in person and virtually, that require complex, concurrent project management. For each training session, we have program team members who design and deliver the content and other operations team members who plan and execute all of the logistical details.
The Director of Program Operations will oversee all of the operational processes and planning to ensure an exceptional proactive participant experience. As part a small but growing team, this role will both lead the vision, oversee process creation and improvement, provide guidance and oversight to other team members planning events, and will participate in the logistics that go into events (eg. ordering food, setting up a space, making copies etc.) The main responsibilities for this new position include:
- Set the vision for exceptional event planning and set up systems for supporting, developing, holding other team members accountable, and collaboratively problem solving when issues arise
- Assign project ownership to team members and monitor progress utilizing work plans to meet deadlines and ultimately achieve a high quality participant experience
- Create and lead systems for proactive planning out the calendar of events and ensuring all activities and dates are planned out
- Monitor systems and processes, utilizing staff and participant feedback, and make process improvements as needed
- Communicate across the team so that everyone involved in events is aware of their responsibilities and progress, heightening issues when needed
SELF is a collaborative, entrepreneurial team and there may be additional responsibilities dependent on capacity, interest, skill, and organizational need.
SELF’s Director of Program Operations role is a great opportunity if the following describes you:
- I have event organization and customer service experience and I love planning and overseeing the execution of events so that everyone involved, presenters and participants, have an amazing experience.
- I have managed, directly or indirectly, colleagues leading events - supporting, developing, and overseeing progress to achieve shared goals.
- I believe in SELF’s mission and would get energy from doing behind the scenes, collaborative work to set up other team members to be successful.
- I am highly organized, detail oriented, and skilled at setting up and progress monitoring processes and yet, I am able to shift and adjust to dynamic, changing circumstances.
- I enjoy both the big picture planning for operations and also doing the actual work with other team members to make an event a success.
Required Skills and Mindsets:
- A deep commitment to SELF’s mission and alignment with SELF values of Belief, Responsibility, and Teamwork
- Belief in SELF’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) demonstrated by a demonstrated willingness to examine personal identity and biases and comfort engaging in conversations around race, class, and privilege
- Exceptional complex project management skills demonstrated by the ability to manage complex projects with a keen attention to detail, strong process management, excellent communication, and the ability to manage up and across the organization to achieve goals
- Skilled communication skills with both internal and external partners via e-mail and in-person
- Structured thinking skills: the ability to organize, analyze, and synthesize disparate pieces of information and clearly communicate information to others in a way that is accessible and reflective of the audience
- A high degree of personal leadership: evidence of taking initiative and owning outcomes for yourself and others
- A solutions orientation: the ability to identify and implement solutions independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and a track record of taking responsibility when faced with challenges
- Strong relationship-building skills demonstrated by the ability to build trust with a wide-variety of individuals
- A demonstrated career-long history of constant learning and continuous personal development learning through self-awareness of strengths and areas of improvement; a track record of building skills and knowledge through personal initiative; and a history of executing on feedback to improve performance
Required Experience and Expectations:
- At least 3-5 years of event planning and management or other relevant experience
- Adult management experience
- Comfort with Google Suite and Microsoft Office (e.g. Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Classroom, Word, Excel, PPT, etc.)
- Complex project management experience, working on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines simultaneously and managing others to deadlines and goals
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Asana or similar project management software
- Team leadership (this role may not directly lead a time but will have informal team leadership responsibilities)
Location: The Director of Program Operations must live in the Greater New Orleans area and be able to work in the New Orleans office on a regular basis. Some travel. A relocation stipend may be available to qualifying candidates.
Manager Relationship: The Director of Program Operations will report to the Senior Director of Special Projects
Timeline: We will review applications for this role on a rolling basis and may close the application at any point. Interested applications are encouraged to apply as soon as you are able.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting salary for the Director of Program Operations role ranges from $70,000 to $80,000. SELF is committed to equitable talent practices and sets starting salaries using internal and external comparison data and a candidate’s specific experience. We also believe in taking care of our team members holistically. We aim to offer competitive salaries, but we also have a comprehensive benefits package, with health, dental, vision largely subsidized by SELF, a 401k employer contribution, short-term and long-term disability paid for by SELF, and a flexible spending and dependent care plan.
SELF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance.